Bio-Clean Air Devices & Services

 
biocleanair
Products
Biological Safety Cabinets
Laminer Airflow Benches
Air Shower Entry Systems
Powder Sampling / Dispensing Booths
Laboratory Fume Hoods
Pass Through Boxes
Positive Pressure Modules
Air Tents / Modular Type Cleanroom
Sterile Garments Storage Cubicle
UV Sterile Chamber
HEPA Filters
Grossing Workstation
Wet Chemical WorkBench
   
Bio-cleanairBIOHAZARD SAFETY CABINETS: (MICROBIOLOGICAL SAFETY CABINET)
biocleanair

Apart from performing the functions of the regular laminar airflow equipment, it also protects the operator from the toxic / pathogenic contamination created during the research activities and also protects the atmosphere from such contaminations. For example, if an operator performs research on HIV virus or any other very hazardous / toxic materials, the operator needs to protect from the possible contamination /infection due to the virus he handles in his laboratory. A bio-safe hood does the job of protecting the not only the operators but also the environment by removing those viruses from the air-stream by means of High Efficiency Particulate Air Filters.

The biological safety cabinets (BSCs), enclosed containers and other engineering controls designed to remove or minimize exposures to hazardous biological materials. The biological safety cabinet (BSC) is the principal device used to provide containment of infectious splashes or aerosols generated by many microbiological procedures. Three types of biological safety cabinets (Class I, Class II (A, B, B1, B2 & B3), Class III used in microbiological laboratories application. Open-fronted Class I and Class II
biological safety cabinets are primary barriers which offers significant levels of protection to laboratory personnel and to the environment when used with good microbiological techniques. The Class II biological safety cabinet also provides

protection from external contamination of the materials (e.g., Cell culture, microbiological stock & drug formulations, or when manipulating potential infectious materials) being manipulated inside the cabinet. The gas-tight Class III Biological Safety Cabinet provides the highest attainable level of protection to personnel and the environment.

Available in the MOC of electro-Galvanized iron with polyurethane paint coated finish, IS 304 / 316 Grade SS with finish 4 polish / mirror finish.

 Especially designed to protect PRODUCT/PATHOGENIC PROCESS / PERSONNEL / ENVIRONMENT from contamination created while working with highly infectious material

Cleanliness level of Classification
:

Overall – better than CLASS 100
Of US FS 209 E or CLASS 5 of ISO 14644-1

Particle Retention 
:

0.12 / 0.3 micron & above

Class Mean inflow velocity to achieve operator protection Mean down flow velocity to achieve product protection
I
> 0.7 m/s – 1.0 m/s
Not Applicable
II
≥ 0.4 m/s
0.25 m/s – 0.50 m/sec
III
≥ 0.7 m/s with one glove removed
Not Applicable

Table-2: SELECTION OF A SAFETY CABINET THROUGH RISK ASSESSMENT:

Biological Risk Assessed
Protection Provided

BSC CLASS

Personnel
Product
Environment
BSL 1-3
YES
NO
YES
CLASS I
BSL 1-3
YES
YES
YES
II TYPE A, B1, B2 & B3
BSL 1-4
YES
YES
YES
III B1, B2

Table-3: COMPARISON OF BIOLOGICAL SAFETY CABINETS CHARACTERISTICS:

Type

Face Velocity(1fpm)

Airflow Pattern
Radio-nuclides / Toxic Chemicals
Bio-safety Level(s)
Product Protection
Class I Open Front
75
In at front; rear and top through HEPA filter
NO
2,3
YES

Class IIType A

75
In at front; rear and top through HEPA filter
NO
2,3
YES
Type B1
100
Supply air 30% re-circulated through HEPA; remaining 70% exhaust through HEPA and hard ducted to atmosphere
Yes (Low levels / Volatility)
2,3
YES
Type B2
100
No re-circulation; total exhaust via HEPA and hard ducted
YES
2,3
YES
Type B3
100
Same as type IIA, but plenum under negative pressure to room and exhaust air is ducted to atmosphere
YES
2,3
YES

Class III B 1 & B2

NA
Supply air inlets and exhaust through 2 HEPA filter
YES
3,4
YES

 

Copyrights 2009 ęBio-Clean Air Devices & Services . All rights reserved